Monday, September 11, 2006

Rant part 1: trains, phones and other modern technologies -- 08/09-06

Have I mentioned yet that drivers here in Europe are in an insane rush to get somewhere? And yet they're also the calmest drivers I've ever seen... they change lanes (without ANY sort of indication) like it's fun to do (it kind of is, I guess... if you're into thrills and general car-sickness) and come to a halt a mere centimetre from the car in front (or the pedestrain crossing the road) without even a hint of anxiety or road rage. I'm glad I don't drive here. But then again, I have always been somewhat of a wuss when it comes to driving...

I left Brussels in one such exhilirating (car-sickness provoking) drive. Anatole, the lovely funny chef arrived at 11am at the hotel to pick me up and take me to the train station. My train was leaving at 11.25am. He wasn't concerned. We arrived with five minutes to spare, Anatole hauled my luggage onto the top shelf of the luggage rack, since it was the only one left empty and quit the train just before it started moving, leaving me embarrassingly in the wrong seat, after having asked two lovely gentlemanly gentlemen to move who really shouldn't have moved. I quietly, shyly, mumblingly, apologetically, stumbled to my correct seat and from there onwards the train journey was quite smooth. Thankfully.

When the train arrived in Lille, I put in the SFR (french vodafone) sim that May gave me and revived my mobile from its two weeks of slumber. Finally! I was contactable once again! I shan't relate here why my original vodafone roaming didn't work, but let's just say it's caused a lot of headache, so if any of you are trying to reach me, you will receive my new French number by email shortly after I stop ranting.

So far so good. Getting off the train was a little bit more interesting. Being my usual, quiet, polite, gracious self (:P), I was silly enough to wait until everyone else got off the train before I did so that I was left to deal with dragging my 26kg of luggage off the top shelf (above my head) all on my own! And I didn't even break my neck! Aren't you all just SO proud of me? Anyway, it took me so long that people started boarding the train again before I got off, so there was the awkward stumbling, pushing, shoving between people to escape and not get stuck on the train to Marseille. Really! I think I did well. I'm learning that patience and manners are not at all useful when it comes to trains! :P

I'm kidding. In case you didn't realise.

I've been lucky. Ling, a fellow exchange student from unimelb also going to Lyon II, picked me up at the train station with some local muscle, Mr Nicholas, who was kind enough to drag my luggage all the way to Ling's apartment for me. He even left his number in case I needed any help in the future :) He assured me that French people WERE arrogant and rude, but that he wasn't at all like that.

So after having kindly fed me, filled me in on the local knowledge she'd gained in her one week in Lyon, the how to, where to, and what to do bits and pieces and more importantly, let me charge my mobile phone, Ling sent me packing to the room she no longer wanted at the university residence, André Aliix.

I took a taxi which came with a funny, very kind taxi driver named Van, and a GPS. Seriously, why aren't taxis this fancy back in Melbourne? Or haven't I been taking them enough? Maybe I should fit out MY Taxi with a GPS, she can be the first, so she won't get lost again ;P Anyway, I arrived safely. Mr Van the taxi man only took 10 euro from me, eventhough I clearly owed and insisted he take 17 euro... see? there ARE kind people out there!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home