Friday, December 01, 2006

I don't want to study...

So the market at Perrache has appeared. Really gorgeous, I'll have to take pictures tomorrow... hope the weather holds cos it's so gorgeous gorgeously lovely bluuuuue today :)

I didn't end up having to do my exposé yesterday. The prof didn't turn up. That's the second week in a row. We're supposed to be having our exam next week but no one knows what's happening, so I don't know whether that'll happen either. But if it does then I'm screwed. I don't feel like I've learnt anything in this subject. It's just ben ten weeks of exposés and 50% of the time I can't follow the discussion. No notes, no prescribed texts. How on earth are you supposed to study for an exam in a subject like this?!? I did really enjoy reading my exposé topic though... that's the sad part. I'm really interested in the topics we're studying but because of this language barrier, I can't fully get into it...

Other news since yesterday afternoon: I got stuck on a tram that wouldn't move for about half an hour... because the stupid driver said that there had been an accident and the interruption would take a FEW minutes (!!!) So I stayed on thinking, yeah, it'll start moving soon... soon.. soon... nope. I was about five stops from the terminus which was my stop and it was bloody freezing last night and I was severely underdressed so I didn't feel like walking. Ended up having to walk anyway. Actually didn't end up being too bad because I warmed up powerwalking and it was so refreshing just being out in the cold...

I should've would've could've...

I've been thinking maybe I should've done this as a year-long exchange. Everyone's been telling me six months isn't enough... I know... the other problem with it being only six months is that, from the very beginning, I didn't want to see it as a long time. So I wasn't prepared properly. I don't know if you can ever be really prepared, but you can certainly do better than I did... I had the idea in my head that six months wasn't long enough to really worry about accomodation (yeah, I'll put up with Allix, everyone else does), or food (oh I'll just eat 3-minute noodles) or even just getting basic necessities for everyday living (eg. I don't have a pillow... I sleep on a pile of clothes I stuff in a pillowcase - no wonder I'm getting a sore neck!!)... yeah... and it also really affects your mentality when you're just living day-to-day... I guess a part of me thought of this as a holiday and it really isn't. Well, it IS and it ISN'T... it affects the way you see yourself in a certain place, whether you feel comfortable, whether you want to make your place a home or just a place to sleep in...

anyway, it's too late now... I can't extend my exchange. Well, I can, but it would mean a hell of a lot of money that I don't have, it would mean taking even LONGER to finish my degree, and that's just not something that I want to do.

Plus, I miss Taxi so much :(

Chez Mounier tomorrow night. Fingers crossed. I'll try and remember to take my camera.

xx


2 Comments:

At 11:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there :) Can get a cheap big soft toy from an Asian store for a pillow. .... Or just a pillow from a cheap store. Q

 
At 12:16 pm, Blogger la la luce said...

Thanks Q, but I'm not going to get a pillow now... apparently I like suffering... :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home